Monday, September 27, 2010

Michigan teachers are making less this year. To help pay for health care benefits of the retirees encouraged by the State last year, all teachers will lose 3% of their paycheck. So my already inadequate paycheck just got smaller.

When I became a teacher, I didn't expect to get rich doing it. I knowingly took this career path, despite the fact, compared to other similarly educated people, my paycheck pales. I knew that I would be expected to continue my education, at the high cost of graduate credits. I knew that my employer would never cover all the incidentals I would need for my classroom.

But as time goes by, I see the costs of everything else increasing, and now my paycheck decreasing, and it is depressing.

Pay is relative of course. According to Average Teacher Salary by State, teaching in Michigan pays pretty darned good relative to the state median income, at approximately $8000 over that figure. That sounds pretty good, doesn't it? I would like to know the education level compared to those salaries those. How many people in the state have a bachelor's degree? a master's degree? are required to pay to continue their own education? My gut tells me our median income in Michigan is inflated due to auto workers' wages. Working in an auto factory is an honorable profession. However, to work on the line, you do not need a college degree. You certainly don't need a master's degree, nor do you pay to continue your education to keep your certification (which you pay for as well) to keep your job.

According to the graph comparing teacher salary to median house prices, also makes my pay look pretty reasonable. Granted, other places have much higher prices than where I live. My 2000+ square foot house, sitting on 4 acres, about 4 miles from town, would sell for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 if put on the market today. Well, it would list for that price, but would it sell? With the high number of foreclosures on the market, the declining job market, I doubt it would sell at all. Other places where home values are greater, have more perks as well. Where I live, the nearest traffic light is 65 miles away - ok, maybe that is a perk :) But when you are enjoying the lack of traffic, remember that means the nearest shopping is 65 miles away as well. The nearest REAL mall is 200 miles away. That translates into a lot of miles on a vehicle! My truck is will be 1 year old in December and just turned over 18,000 miles. Everywhere is a major trip.

Different states have different rates of pay no doubt. If you'd like to see how each state measures up, you can view state summary pages at the links below:
Average teacher salary Alabama
Average teacher salary Alaska
Average teacher salary Arizona
Average teacher salary Arkansas
Average teacher salary California
Average teacher salary Colorado
Average teacher salary Connecticut
Average teacher salary Delaware
Average teacher salary District of Columbia
Average teacher salary Florida
Average teacher salary Georgia
Average teacher salary Hawaii
Average teacher salary Idaho
Average teacher salary Illinois
Average teacher salary Indiana
Average teacher salary Iowa
Average teacher salary Kansas
Average teacher salary Kentucky
Average teacher salary Louisiana
Average teacher salary Maine
Average teacher salary Maryland
Average teacher salary Massachusetts
Average teacher salary Michigan
Average teacher salary Minnesota
Average teacher salary Mississippi
Average teacher salary Missouri
Average teacher salary Montana
Average teacher salary Nebraska
Average teacher salary Nevada
Average teacher salary New Hampshire
Average teacher salary New Jersey
Average teacher salary New Mexico
Average teacher salary New York
Average teacher salary North Carolina
Average teacher salary North Dakota
Average teacher salary Ohio
Average teacher salary Oklahoma
Average teacher salary Oregon
Average teacher salary Pennsylvania
Average teacher salary Rhode Island
Average teacher salary South Carolina
Average teacher salary South Dakota
Average teacher salary Tennessee
Average teacher salary Texas
Average teacher salary Utah
Average teacher salary Vermont
Average teacher salary Virginia
Average teacher salary Washington
Average teacher salary West Virginia
Average teacher salary Wisconsin
Average teacher salary Wyoming

I don't begrudge my doctor his paycheck. He went through many years of education to get where he is today. I don't begrudge my attorney her paycheck. Again, she earned it. In turn, I think people who bash teacher paychecks should stop and think for a minute about our jobs, their importance, and what it took to get here and what it takes to stay. Maybe instead of bashing my pay, think about how much that big shot tossing the football is getting paid, or how much that crooner on the radio made last year, and the importance of their job in the spectrum of life. In the meantime, I am looking at my smaller paycheck thinking... hmmm... OK, hope those retirees are enjoying their time off!

No comments: